Clan Analogue’s latest compilation album Intone: Voice Abstractions showcases new experimental and electronic treatments of the human voice. Intone features 21 unique manipulations of vocalisation and verbiage from Australian and international artists working in the left-field reaches of electronic sound. These interweavings of ones, zeroes and vocal chords utilise the human voice as their sonic essence, in ways that are electric, rhythmic, melodic, hypnotic, chaotic and eclectic.
Buy CD direct from Clan Analogue:
Through locales from Sydney (Disla System) to Melbourne (City Frequencies) to Russia (Baby Swindle) to Macedonia (Robert Sazdov) to Japan (Su Veneer) to outer space (Hethre Contant), Intone guides the listener on a journey in vocal abstractions across all levels, from the meditative to the earsplitting.
Other artists take traditional source material and rework them in a multitude of ways – Robert Sazdov explores renderings of politicised people and traumatised places; Baby Swindle collages choral singing recorded in the venue made famous by Pussy Riot; and Wonderfeel reworks a spiritual using the natural reverb of an immense concrete stairwell.
KOshowKO and Thallium & Milo evoke the purity of the untrained voice, while GEORGIASWEBB and Carrier go meta, philosophically recomposing the base functions and absurdities of human vocal communication. Sound artists Contant and Pascalle Burton make mischief with the intoned authority of figures such as Philip Tagg and Walter Benjamin. The album is topped and tailed by impressive abstract solo work from Kusum Normoyle (Dark Mofo) and Gail Priest (Pretty Gritty).
Intone has been curated by Actual Russian Brides, who previously released their Wife Beats EP through Clan Analogue, with assistance from performance poet Matt Hetherington (DJ Zaziz) who developed the original concept with Melbourne experimental musician Robert ‘Bo’ Boehm (who sadly passed away before the album was released). Significantly, it contains the last track completed by Bo’s legendary duo Winduptoys.
Finalist for Award for Excellence in Experimental Music, 2016 Australian Art Music Awards
“The curatorial premise is strong, using the voice as core sonic material in 21 beautifully recorded tracks cataloguing current Australian artists.”
comments by 2016 Art Music Awards judging panel
“Veering from jarring confrontation through to more melodic and accessible territory. All up, ‘Intone’ manages to cover an extremely wide range of sonic territory within its thematic remit, with consistently interesting results.”
released in September 2015
1. Kusum Normoyle l Octopus
2. Carrier l You Can’t Keep
3. Robert Sazdov l Bogorodica 28.08
4. KOshowKO l Now You’re Talking Baby
5. Doctrinaire l Le Petit Prince
6. Su Veneer l Ebisu
7. Pascalle Burton feat. Renee Vaughan Sutherland l As If, Philip Tagg
8. Kusum Normoyle l Body Contact #1 [bonus track on online version only]
9. City Frequencies l The Most Beautiful Walk
10. Hethre Contant l Die Eisenbahnkatastrophe Vom Firth of Tay: Heard From Outer Space
11. Thallium & Milo l God’s Rainbow [bonus track on online version only]
12. Wonderfeel with Harmony Byrne l Amazing Grace
13. Robert Sazdov l Tetovo: 2001 [bonus track on online version only]
14. Alex J Wise l Deserted Landscapes
15. Automatic Teller Machine Machine l Kronik Tonic [bonus track on online version only]
16. Dislasystem l Umbilical
17. Rantzen & Spinoglio l Sonic Manipulator
18. Baby Swindle l Actual Russian Khor
19. Winduptoys l Broken Language
20. Georgiaswebb l Paregoros
21. Gail Priest l Stranglers