Clan Analogue presents Mobile Strategies: Battery-Powered Sonics
Clan Analogue’s new compilation album Mobile Strategies: Battery-Powered Sonics is a survey of international mobile music making. Whether using cheap portable synths, boutique miniature noise-making gadgets or apps on the phone or tablet, making mobile electronic music is expanding the possibilities of music creation and performance, turning the train ride into a production session, turning the local park into a studio.
Mobile Strategies includes contributions from music producers located on 3 continents and using a broad-range of mobile setups. The album’s 19 tracks include contributions from Tame Impala’s drummer Barbagallo, Germany’s prominent mobile music proponent Perplex On and the Melbourne-based KOshowKO who has pioneered venue-specific live audience sampling with the use of iPads.
A growing trend among the community of music producers is a return to the tactile experience of music creation tools and a focus on hardware that reduces the reliance on desktop systems. The different feel of mobile technologies impact upon the way producers choose to engage with particular formats. Portable technologies empower producers to redefine their methods of music creation in the contemporary digital space.
The mobile technologies used on the album range from the vintage TB 303, TR 606 and Casio SK-1 instruments used by Australian electronic act Rantzen & Spinoglio, through to a Gameboy Micro running custom software used by chr15m + Fenris to the latest invention by Teenage Engineering, their OP-Z sequencer, utilised by Perplex On in a nature-inspired, glitchy and bass heavy track produced during a hike in the Bavarian countryside.
The album is available on all major music streaming platforms. There is also a special Bandcamp edition of the album, featuring a digital booklet detailing used equipment as well as the creative process behind each track. Customers who purchase the album on Bandcamp will also access a special folder with 6 bonus tracks not available elsewhere.
Mobile Strategies Executive Producer Martin Koszolko explains “Why a Mobile Music album?“
- Barbagallo l Trek6
- KOshowKO l Neaty + Tidy
- Starpause l Curious Crochet
- Perplex On l First Warm Sunbeams
- Decorate With Skulls l Tides
- Ming l Protégé Four
- chr15m & fenris l Yeah
- Damiano l London City
- 477 l Shytcunstepator
- Лучи Мечты l Oculist Conspiracy
- Grey Nest l JVOIGT
- maN Oeuvre l Her BastarD
- Rantzen & Spinoglio l Sniffer Dogs
- theultravisitor l Am That
- BLEO l Full-Featured
- Yoshima Petrosyan l Nonza
- Planet Nowhere l Elevator Woman
- Aday l Pressures Touch
- Globotom l Es ist zu spät
- Alex J Wise l Place of No Time [bonus track on Bandcamp only]
- Mono Tono l Night in Sirolo (Personal Itaka) [bonus track on Bandcamp only]
- Jeff Henry l Another Bedtime Story [bonus track on Bandcamp only]
- Pantsofdeath l Ophendid [bonus track on Bandcamp only]
- The Tuesday Night Machines l Butterbrot [bonus track on Bandcamp only]
- Tristan Burfield l Pole Position [bonus track on Bandcamp only]